Run-flat TyresWhat are Run-flat Tyres? They are specially designed tyres that enable you to continue driving when you have a punctured tyre on your vehicle.
What are the advantages of Run-flat Tyres? The driver is warned that they have a puncture via a Tyre Pressure Monitoring device installed on the vehicle. There is no longer the need for you to stop driving straight away and replace the wheel, as you are able to continue driving at a reduced speed on the tyre, even though it may be deflated.
Other advantages are:
- Reduced risk of accident as no sudden loss of tyre pressure.
- Eliminates the need to stop immediately in dangerous roadside locations such as motorways, on a bend or whilst in unpleasant surroundings.
- Important meetings or appointments can still be attended on time, as you haven't needed to stop and replace the punctured wheel.
- Increased customer safety for night driving or women driving alone.
- Weight saving benefit, as no spare wheel or vehicle jack is needed.
- With low loads, one or two persons without luggage:
Approximately 150 miles at a maximum speed of 50mph
- With moderate loads, two persons with full luggage or four persons
Approximately 90 miles at a maximum speed of 50mph
- With a full load, while towing a trailer or four persons or more
with full luggage:
Approximately 30 miles at a maximum speed of 50mph
What happens next? Once you have determined a punctured tyre on your vehicle, you should, dependent upon your location, contact your nearest BMW Dealer and arrange for the tyre to be replaced.
Can I repair the punctured tyre? Manufactureres recommends that a Run-flat Tyre is not repaired as additional forces and wear have been incurred within the tyre whilst being driven deflated.
Could I repair a non Run-flat Tyre? Manufactureres also recommends that non Run-flat Tyres are also replaced and not repaired, as it is difficult to know exactly what damage has been caused to the tyre once deflated or when the damage was caused.
BMW recommended tyres
Certain makes of tyre are recommended by BMW for each tyre size. They are marked with a clearly visible BMW designation star '*' on the sidewall of the tyre.
When properly used, these tyres meet the highest standards in terms of safety and handling characteristics. BMW only recommends the fitment of approved wheel and tyre combinations, as non-approved wheels or tyres may make contact with the vehicle body due to impermissible tolerances, even though they are the same size. For further details on approved wheel and tyre combinations, please contact our service department.